American Research and Testing Inc. has been a leader in the field of VOC testing since 1989, and is well known for accurate and reproducible analysis of low-VOC and complex products.
As regulations and consumer demand move you to a greener product line, no doubt you have been asked “what is the VOC of your product” Questions like this usually mean
- Does your product comply with VOC regulations for its class?
- How much VOC do we have to declare in our permit record keeping?
- Do you have a third party verification of your product’s VOC?
American Research and Testing Inc. is here to help you answer those questions, and has extensive experience with EPA Method 24, SCAQMD Method 304, and CARB Method 310 VOC testing.
We follow EPA Method 24 or SCAQMD Method 304 procedures for industrial products, and CARB Method 310 procedures for consumer products. We can determine whether your coating or product complies with South Coast Air Quality Management District Rules, California Air Resources Board Consumer Products Regulations, 40CFR59: “VOC Emissions Standard for Consumer/Commercial Products”, Ozone Transport Commission (OTC), Lake Michigan Air Directors Consortium (LADCO), and other similar source-specific standards. We limit the scope of our VOC work to analysis of industrial and consumer products in the form of liquids, aerosols, pastes, semi-solids, coatings, multiple-component coatings, and reactive coatings. We can also serve as your consultant to help you reformulate your products into compliance, audit your formulation calculations, or trouble shoot your non-compliance issues. Contact us to learn more.
Specific methods we are familiar with include:
- ASTM D1475 Density of Paint, Varnish, Lacquer, and Related Products
- ASTM D1489 Nonvolatile Content of Aqueous Adhesives
- ASTM D153 Specific Gravity of Pigments
- ASTM D1644 Nonvolatile Content of Varnishes
- ASTM D2369 Volatile Content of Paints
- ASTM D2697 Volume Nonvolatile Matter in Clear or Pigmented Coatings ASTM D2832 Nonvolatile Content of Paint and Paint Materials, Rec. Practices for Determining
- ASTM D2834 Nonvolatile Matter (Total Solids) in Water-Emulsion Floor Polishes, Solvent-Based Floor Polishes, and Polymer-Emulsion Floor Polishes
- ASTM D2887 Boiling Range Distribution of Petroleum Fractions by Gas Chromatography
- ASTM D2908 Volatile Organic Matter in Water by Aqueous-Injection Gas Chromatography, Practice for Measuring
- ASTM D3062 Solids Content of Aerosol Coatings
- ASTM D3069 Delivery Rate of Aerosol Products
- ASTM D3271 Direct Injection of Solvent-Base Paints into a Gas Chromatograph for Solvent Analysis, Rec. Practice for
- ASTM D3695 Volatile Alcohols in Water by Direct Aqueous-Injection Gas Chromatography
- ASTM D3742 1,1,1-Trichloroethane Content
- ASTM D3792 Water Content of Coatings by Direct Injection Into a Gas Chromatograph
- ASTM D3960 Determining Volatile Organic Contents (VOC) of Paints and Related Coatings, Practice for
- ASTM D4017 Water in Paints and Paint Materials by Karl Fischer Method
- ASTM D6133 Acetone, p-Chlorobenzotrifluoride, Methyl Acetate or t-Butyl Acetate Content of Solventborne and Waterborne Paints, Coatings, Resins, and Raw Materials by Direct Injection Gas Chromatography
- ASTM D6886 Speciation of VOCs in Low VOC Conent Waterborne Air-Dry Coatings by Gas Chromatography
- ASTM E1719 Vapor Pressure of Liquids by Ebulliometry
- ASTM E203 Water Using Karl Fischer Reagent
- ASTM E260 General Gas Chromatography Procedures, Rec. Practice for
- CARB Method 310 Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) in Consumer Products
- EPA 40CFR 60 Appendix A Method 24: VOC of Coatings
- SCAQMD 303 Determination of Exempt Compounds
- SCAQMD 304 Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds
- SCAQMD 308 Quantitation of Compounds by Gas Chromatography
- SCAQMD 310 Determination of Perchloroethylene
- SCAQMD 312 Determination of Percent Monomer in Polyester Resins
- SCAQMD 313 Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds VOC by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry
- SCAQMD 314 Quantitation of Photochemically Reactive Compounds
- SCAQMD 316A Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds VOC in Materials Used for Pipes and Fittings
- SCAQMD 316B Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds VOC in Adhesive containing Cyanoacrylates
More services offered by American Research and Testing Inc.: